I know am a bit late getting the list out, have been planning to put this in a couple of days back… well better late than never they say. How to have a green break is something I have been trying to figure out and now after reading and sifting through books, magazines and websites I have come to a few things which I believe we all can do pretty easily.
For someone who did not grow up in the United States, Memorial Day was a new holiday. I wanted to know what it was, for all I knew was that it was the first long weekend before summer and fell on the last Monday of May. Memorial Day is a day in remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service, For the ones who gave up their tomorrow’s for our today’s. Memorial Day was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.
It is also the day when the family’s all across the country start with the road trips.
This year for Memorial Day weekend we have chosen to check out places in and around our city (Columbus Ohio) or as it is now called a “Staycation“(any trip within a diameter of 300 miles). It is a good way to reduce one’s carbon footprint by a good deal. Also planning to give away things we have not used within the last year. So we are half way there (meaning the planning part is done, now we just have to follow throughJ).
Here is my list of things which will help in making your Green Memorial Day Weekend/Vacation:
- First thing is reducing the distance one travels, lesser mileage means lesser use of gas (it is lighter on the wallet!) and of course you will get to know your own region better!
- Live in or around DC area? Go visit the brave soldiers who rest at the Arlington cemetry, what better place to be than there for Memorial day?
- Alright so you are heading out, check whether all your outlets with plugs are not connected. All electronic items switched off etc… draining connections waste a lot of power even while not being used but just being plugged in.
- Where ever you are headed off-setting your travel related carbon emissions to have a carbon neutral vacation. Did you know we can buy carbon offsets from STI (sustainable travel international) or carbonfund.org! (Priced between 5-20$ per ton)
- Before your trip tune up your ride change the air filter, make sure your tires are properly inflated. All this helps with good mileage and a good ride!
- You get more mileage with lesser luggage! No luggage rack on top and closed windows supposedly improves fuel economy by 5%!
- With wifi it has become easy to keep tabs on gas prices while travelling check www.gasbuddy.com or www.gaspricewatch to get the best gas prices near where you are.
- I know driving with the windows down feels good (fresh air in the face etc…) but the drag it creates actually burns more gas than if you use the A/C while driving! So yeah in long distance driving closed windows with A/C is green!
- Maintain constant speed, keep safe distances and stay safe on the road!
- Ensure your lodgings are green (check for a list at websites such as Planeta, the International Ecotourism Society, Sustainable Travel International , gti-home-exchange etc…
- Conserve water when on vacation (change of sheets like you do at home (not every day I suppose), soaps and shampoos too… (All these things utilize energy to manufacture and when wasted adds to the landfills and pollution).
- While eating out look for local restaurants and farmers markets.
For those brave souls who sacrificed their lives for the nation, what better way of celebrating them than taking care of the Nation with every small step we take? Plant a tree, a garden, thank the soldiers who have passed on and keep the good work going. Where ever you are on Memorial day Remember 3.00PM and the moment of silence for the fallen soldiers.
Enjoy your vacation where ever it is and leave only footprints behind, just carry memories with you. Happy Memorial Day!
For more info on Memorial Day check here