May 9th is Mother’s day, the day to honor motherhood anyour mother. I was thinking about gifts for mom and thought it would be nice to make a list of gifts, affordable, useful and environment friendly! Just like a mom keeps on giving get her a gift which would keep on giving. After searching high and low these are some of the options I came up with :
- Instead of boquets why not a garden / a flowering plant? – it lasts longer and keeps on giving flowers! If one picks perennials it will come back year after year after year! You can make it a garden kit with accessories like kneelers, pruners etc… Check this link or Check out your garden store you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can find.
- Ecoist makes one of a kind handbags from candy wrappers! I thought they look pretty cool and stylish! Ecoist handmade handbags are made from recycled candy wrappers, food packages, soda labels, and other recycled materials. We collect waste and “upcycle” it into eco friendly bags, recycled purses, and one-of-kind, limited collection handbags. Price 22$ to 170$.
- Gaiam has these cool solar shoji lanterns for outdoor living, energy efficient! eye catchy and very useful for out door entertaining! It is weatherproof and also comes in a set of 3. Price 30-90$
- You can adopt and acre of land in the Appalachian in mom’s name and that is a gift which will keep giving for generations to come! When you give Adopt an Acre® Appalachians as a Mother’s day gift, The nature Conservancy will sent a packet in a special envelope to your mom announcing your gift. You can also set up an e-card to announce your gift on Mothers day. When you Adopt an Acre® today, you can choose to help protect forest in the United States, lush rainforests sanctuaries abroad, the grasslands in East Africa, or one of many magnificent coral reefs. Price 50$ per acre.
- Sunlight in a Jar!! Have you ever wanted to capture sunlight in a jar? Aww. Sounds nice, right? Well, now you can do it! Seriously! Pairing a traditional glass mason jar with a solar-charged high-tech energy efficient LED lamp, the Sun Jar generates soft natural light in a very appealing package. Just place the Sun Jar in direct sunlight during the day (perfect on your window sill), and see that sunlight returned in the form of glowing LED awesomeness at night. Perfect on a patio or in your garden, and quietly reassuring as a nightlight in a bedroom, the Sun Light is a very bright idea. It’ll really glow on you! 4″ diameter, 6.5″height price 45$
Canvas eco friendly shopping totes with Mom’s name printed on it is a wallet friendly green gift for every day!
And there is always the option of donating to charities especially with the economy being where it is and all the natural calamities world over, they can use all the help they can get. The International Red cross, Doctor’s without borders, Clinton-Bush-Haiti-fund , Help Tibetan Earthquake victimsetc to name a few.
Will add more gifts as I find them, Let me know if you have something you would like to share. Happy Green shopping for Mom!